A well-maintained, turfed lawn was a status symbol that emerged in 17th century England and is still seen today as a sign of prosperity. But, unlike 17th century England, modern homeowners typically do not have an army of servants to help maintain and upkeep an impeccably manicured lawn. However, there are other options if you still want that luscious natural lawn look without all the upkeep. If you’re updating your landscaping or building a new home, you may decide that synthetic grass is the way to go over a natural lawn.
In this article, we’ll cover the pros and cons of synthetic grass (also known as artificial grass) so you can make an informed decision about which type of lawn is best for your property based on your needs and your budget.
Pros of Synthetic Grass
Artificial grass is made from plastic materials to look like natural, living grass. Compared to the original AstroTurf that came out in the 1960s, synthetic grass looks very life-like and can provide a vibrant lawn for many property owners no matter the weather or season.
There are various benefits to installing artificial grass, but we’ve listed some of the main reasons below.
- No matter the weather, artificial grass looks great. This is because the weather doesn’t directly impact the appearance of synthetic grass.
- Synthetic grass does not need to be watered, fertilized, or mowed, so it is very low maintenance.
- Artificial grass means you have more time to enjoy your garden or plant more challenging plants and flowers if you have a green thumb.
- Synthetic grass is ideal for people who travel a lot and are away from their home for an extended period as it doesn’t require regular mowing or maintenance.
- Artificial grass is better for the environment and your wallet as it reduces the amount of water your home uses.
- If you are a pet owner, synthetic grass is a good option as it can’t be dug up or spoiled by urine or feces. Dogs love to play in artificial grass just as much as natural lawns, so it is very pet-friendly.
- Artificial grass can be installed quickly.
Cons of Synthetic Grass
As with anything in life, while synthetic turf has its advantages, it also has a few disadvantages. Below are some of the negative aspects of artificial grass you should take into consideration when deciding how to landscape your home:
- While there is less maintenance, you will need to replace the infill and antishock material every few years. You will also need to sweep and sanitize your artificial grass, as synthetic turf can host a lot of bacteria if not properly cleaned.
- Artificial grass is rougher than natural grass and can cause rug burn.
- The surface temperature of synthetic turf is hotter than real grass and can be uncomfortable to walk on with bare skin if the sun or temperature is hot.
If you’re weighing up the options between real and synthetic lawns, it’s best to speak to a landscaping professional who can guide you and provide recommendations based on your property and your lifestyle. At Cutters Edge, we’re here to help improve, beautify and increase our customers’ business and property values through landscaping. If you reside in Miami Dade, Palm Beach or Broward County, contact us today to discuss your landscaping goals and how we can help bring them to life!