Florida may be known for its beautiful weather and gorgeous palm trees and flowers but maintaining all that lush natural beauty can be time-consuming and expensive. However, it’s important to regularly maintain your landscaping in order to retain the curb appeal and value of your home – especially for your front yard.
If you’re looking for some Florida landscaping ideas that are easy but beautiful then keep reading. In this blog, we’ll cover low-maintenance tropical landscaping plants, low-maintenance garden border ideas, as well as some other cheap simple front yard landscaping ideas that won’t break the bank. Keep scrolling to be inspired!
Low Maintenance Garden Border Ideas
Florida landscaping ideas are plentiful when it comes to natural plants and flowers, but what about the in-between spaces? Keep reading to learn more about our recommendations for low-maintenance garden border ideas.
Mulch – While mulch may not be the most visibly impressive way to create a border, it helps prevent weeds and retain moisture for your plants. Using organic mulch like woodchips not only can help delineate different areas of your landscaping but it will slowly break down and add nutrients to your soil over time. You will need to replace your organic mulch every spring, or you can choose to use inorganic materials like rubber or rocks that don’t need replacing as often.
Hardscaping – Stone borders and paths, retaining walls, and outdoor living spaces are all great ways to hardscape your landscape. Hardscaping doesn’t require any maintenance and also fills the empty space that you would have had to fill with flowers and plants. It can even increase the value of your home by creating outdoor living spaces that can add additional square footage to your property.
Rock Gardens – Rock gardens are a great way to create a border in your front yard that not only enhances your landscaping but is low maintenance as well. You can design your rock garden to suit the style of your landscaping and home with the added benefit of not having to fertilize, weed, prune, or water your rocks.
Low Maintenance Tropical Landscape Plants
When researching Florida landscaping ideas, probably the first thing that comes to mind is the type of flowers you want to use in your front and back yards. Before you go out and spend your paycheck on a bunch of new plants and flowers, read up on our recommended plants below that are perfect for beginners or those looking for a low-maintenance front yard.
- Chinese Fringe Flower – This compact but colorful shrub not only looks great but blooms year-round, unlike many other flowering shrubs.
- Gold Mound Duranta – A pop of yellow in your front yard can be accomplished with the gorgeous Gold Mound Duranta. These plants grow about two to four feet tall and wide and also produce small lavender flowers for an added bonus.
- Azaleas – If you have a shady section of your yard that needs filling, look no further than the reliable Azalea. Even though they only bloom once a year, the remainder of the year that will give your landscaping some green structure that helps soften the rest of your yard.
- Lily of the Nile – To create a lush, tropical effect in your landscaping, opt for grouping a bunch of perennials together like the Lily of the Nile. This plant produces deep blue flowers above narrow, evergreen foliage that helps your landscaping look alive.
- Crotons – One of Florida gardeners’ favorite plants, the Croton thrives here and can grow up to six feet tall.
If you’re interested in low-maintenance front yard landscaping services but aren’t sure where to begin, it’s best to speak to the experts. Our team at Cutters Edge have decades of experience, providing total landscape solutions for our clients with fantastic results. No matter what your budget is, we can help create your perfect low-maintenance front and back yard. Get in touch today to discuss your dream landscaping!