Landscape Lighting Tips to Improve your Outdoor Spaces
Did you know that your eyes need less light outdoors than they do indoors to make out light, pattern, and shadow? That’s why, when you’re considering adding or installing outdoor lighting, a little can go a long way.
If you’re wondering how to install outdoor lighting and take your landscaping from “meh” to “marvelous”, then look no further! We’ve put together our top tips for landscaping lighting to help you realize how your outdoor spaces can be upgraded with just a few lighting features.
The Basics of Landscape Lighting
It sounds obvious but light is perceived differently during the day than it is seen at night. This is especially important to take into consideration when lighting walkways or other exterior pathways around your home. Some basic principles of lighting remain constant, however. For example, light has three factors that can vary: intensity, color, and quantity emitted. There are three important factors to take into consideration when installing any landscape lighting:
• Overall lighting – This illuminates the entire room or space.
• Task lighting – This type of lighting is for a special purpose. For example, lighting a walkway.
• Accent Lighting – This type of lighting pulls focus to a special area. Usually, spotlights or floodlights are used to accomplish this.
Where to Put Your Landscape Lighting
Your imagination is the only limitation when it comes to placing outdoor lighting. However, some spots are better than others. We’ve highlighted a few of the best areas to consider installing landscape lighting below:
• Entryways – Lights on either side of main doors, and overhead on the side or rear doors, are both practical and draw focus to important areas of your home.
• Walkways – A well-lit path is not only welcoming, but it also helps reduce the risk of trips and falls for anyone entering your property. Solar landscape lighting is a great way to power this type of lighting – especially if you have long walkways.
• Patios and Decks – If you have an outdoor kitchen or grilling spot, why not emphasize it with lighting?
• Gazebos or Trellises – If you have a unique outdoor architectural element, such as arbors or pergolas, hanging outdoor string lights on it can be a fantastic way to create a fun and magical ambiance outside.
One thing to note, while there are multiple varieties of lighting fixtures for outdoor spaces be sure to choose ones that are rated “UL wet location” use to avoid any lighting disasters.
Upgrading your landscape lighting can be an exciting way to reinvigorate the curb appeal of your home. While many improvements can be made by yourself, if you want to increase the “wow” factor of your home it’s best to call in the professionals. Our experienced team at Cutters Edge can handle any project you’ve got in mind – no matter how large or small. Contact us today to get the ball rolling!